Thursday 24 October 2013

Me as you

You are probably suffering now: you probably lost someone in your family, you have cancer, you are angry and don't feel loved, you are depressed, you had an abortion or were abused when you were young, your relationship with your partner or your best friend has ended…or you just hate your job, miss home, your mind is always in "sad mode”. Maybe some feelings are worse than others, you might hate the world and yourself, God and everything around you. What does it matter? Suffering is suffering.  And you suffer, as I do. Probably you suffer more than me and there are other people who suffer more than you, and so on… It doesn’t matter how and what you are suffering for. Just assume that suffering is part of life. As a human being I’m often unhappy, sad and scared. I judge and I feel judged, I hurt people and suffer because I feel hurt by other people's behaviours or words. I could beat my head against the wall time and time again until I finally realise that some things have to go in a direction and I can’t do anything to change them. With all my effort I will fail. And I will suffer.  Simply because I’m under this sky and I’m not perfect. Me as you.

So what I (you) can only do is to take one step at a time, to look around me (you) and to appreciate again the nice things I (you) can enjoy.  Things like the sun that rises up in the sky, the smile of an innocent child, a hug received from a stranger, the beauty of a landscape, the music offered by a musician in the street, the hot coffee in the cold days, the shining warm sand under my (your) feet, an interesting book, a piece of bread, the sound of the rain.

You (I) can’t ignore what hurts you (me) but you (I) can also choose to focus your (my) attention on things that make your (my) path sweeter and nicer. And you (I) can walk slowly. Until you (I) will realise that you are (I am) smiling again and you are (I am) strong enough to feel your (my) pain and not be stuck in it.

We can reach our dreams only when we start focusing our attention on things we really love rather than on our pain, when we will understand that we can realise something really big with small steps.  No one really knows which one is the right path; it is all about failures and following attempts, all about going and believing we can do what we really love.

Let’s get off the ground, then. Let’s walk together. I am your reflection, you are my reflection. We are all one.

No comments:

Post a Comment